FOODS THAT BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM
(Not listed in terms of effectiveness)
Compiled by Nancy B. Detweiler
1. Unsweetened Yogurt with live and active cultures.
2. Citrus fruit – Mandarin orange has a high level of limonene which has anti-cancer effects and also helps to prevent breast cancer. Mandarin is a natural blood purifier that helps to flush out toxins and unwanted substances from the body. Grapefruit contains less sugar than oranges. Red or pink grapefruit – also helps detox the liver and promote a healthy gut lining.
3. Red Bell Pepper
4. Broccoli – one of the healthiest vegetables. Raw or cooked as little as possible. Also helps detox the liver and promote a healthy gut lining
6. Ginger – Ginger may help chronic pain.
7. Spinach – raw or cooked as little as possible.
8. Almonds – vitamin E is key to a healthy immune system. Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin, meaning it requires the presence of fat to be absorbed properly. peanuts, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds are all high in vitamin E.
10. Green tea – Both green and black teas are packed with flavonoids, a type of antioxidant. The fermentation process black tea goes through destroys a lot of the EGCG. Green tea, on the other hand, is steamed and not fermented.
11. Sweet potato, carrot, pumpkin, squash, cantaloupe – supply Vitamin A – they have an antioxidant effect to help strengthen the immune system against infection.
12. Mushrooms, especially Shiitake, maitake, button, and reishi mushrooms
13. Blueberries, elderberries, acai berries
14. Watermelon – great for a summer breakfast fruit
15. Oysters – supplies zinc which helps create and activate white blood cells involved in the immune response. It also assists your immune system with tasks such as healing wounds.
16. Cinnamon – cinnamon is antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal.
Filed under: Immune System Foods | Comments Off on FOODS THAT BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM